Lead Frontend Software Engineer
Hungryroot is a grocery and recipe delivery service designed to make healthy eating simple, personal, and sustainable. Our mission is to help people feel their best by making it easier to shop for, cook and love healthy foods. By leveraging AI to create a truly personalized experience, we save customers time and worry, all while introducing them to new foods and helping them achieve their health objectives.
People are at the center of everything we do here at Hungryroot. We are a remote-first company with a hub office in NYC. It’s up to you how and where you want to work; we care about outcomes and your contribution to our company. Our work, our decisions, and our culture are deeply-rooted in the values of being positive, proactive, and transparent. We are incredibly proud of our team and hope that you will join us!
About the Role
Hungryroot is looking for a Lead Frontend Software Engineer to join our growing Engineering Team. This individual will directly manage and grow our Web team. They will take on full ownership of our React-based web application powering our Hungryroot.com e-commerce site. This includes our homepage, quiz funnel, checkout and all post-checkout shopping as well as order and account management experience. The lead will also act as an intimate partner to our product, design and QA team in the planning and execution of our regular feature release cycles. It is expected that the lead will be hands-on, and deliver product features each sprint, along with carrying the duties of being a people-manager.
- Take ownership and direction of our frontend React-based web application. Reliably and safely launch new features while continuing to improve our existing codebase.
- Work closely with the product and QA team to iterate on feature designs, review technical specs, confirm dev estimation, triage bugs and manage release cycles.
- Drive high execution velocity while maintaining good software quality, and help the team appropriately balance between the two based on the nature of projects and circumstances.
- Lead by example through regular features delivery and bug fixes, in order to show team members how to achieve execution and quality goals.
- Regularly provide your team with candid and actionable feedback based on their individual performance. Pay attention to their professional aspirations and facilitate career growth.
- Facilitate technical discussions and drive critical decisions. Be a sounding board to veteran engineers and subject matter experts. Build consensus where possible and arbitrate disagreements when necessary.
- Together with the rest of our backend and dev-ops team, safeguard our production environment and maintain high performance and minimize overall downtime.
- 8+ yrs of commercial software development experience. (Experience in developing ecommerce-related web applications is a huge plus.)
- 6+ yrs of Web Frontend development.
- 4+ yrs working with React.
- 2+ yrs successfully leading, hiring and managing a team of engineers.
- Strong foundation of software engineering in general, both theory and practice. Understand important programming concepts, patterns and pitfalls.
- Deep knowledge about web application development in particular and various related areas such as web security, performance and UI/UX conventions.
- Strong experience implementing observability for comprehensive production monitoring of web apps.
- Ability to troubleshoot production issues quickly and establish processes to prevent the same type of issues from occurring in the future.
Nice to haves
- Familiarity with Docker and containerized deployments.
- Familiarity with CI/CD practices, particularly Github Actions.
- Experience with Typescript.
- Experience with Astro.
- Experience with AWS (e.g. Cloudfront).
- Experience with SEO concepts and practices. History of working closely with marketing is a plus.
Perks & Benefits
- Remote Work Optional: Work from home, work from our NYC office, work from anywhere, you decide!
- Competitive compensation + comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Monthly Hungryroot credit
- Universal paid parental leave
- A working environment filled with passionate, happy, smart people!
The employer will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Our mission to help make healthy eating easy, accessible, and joyful is better served by a diverse workplace. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer committed to building an inclusive workplace. We have zero-tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected class.